Thursday, July 08, 2010

#26; The Red Thread by Ann Hood

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Thread-Novel-Ann-Hood/dp/0393070204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278624520&sr=8-1

I just finished reading this and I cried through the last 15 or so pages.  Really emotional exploration of the adoption process.  Ann Hood is an author I've known for a long time.  I remember as a teen reading Somewhere Off the Coast of Maine. 
http://www.amazon.com/Somewhere-Off-Coast-Maine-Novel/dp/0393332357/ref=pd_sim_b_2
I felt it was so sophisticated and modern.  I wonder if I would feel the same way now. 

Anyway, in 2006 I rediscovered her writing through this horribly sad essay from the Modern Love column of the New York Times. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/fashion/sundaystyles/26LOVE.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

In that 2006 essay, Hood describes the death of her child. Later, in 2008, I read her "comeback" novel, The Knitting Circle, which was, not surprisingly, about a woman who finds strength after the loss of a child. 
http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Circle-Novel-Ann-Hood/dp/0393330443/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Three and a half years later, Hood wrote this Modern Love column about the adoption of her daughter. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/fashion/18Love.html?pagewanted=print

Also in 2008, Hood published a memoir entitled Comfort: A Journey Through Grief
http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Journey-Through-Ann-Hood/dp/039333659X/ref=pd_sim_b_3