Tuesday, July 13, 2010

#28: The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews

After reading some pretty heavy and heady books of late, I decided it was time to take a break with a fun summer read.  The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews was the perfect choice.  It was light, fun and, at times, laugh-out-loud funny.  I emailed a friend and said that I think I may have found the southern Weiner - as in Jennifer Weiner, author of great novels like Good In Bed, In Her Shoes and Little Earthquakes (her later books...disappointing).  The Fixer Upper reminded me of JW's books because like JW's books, it contains great characters, who you can relate to, in unique and usually challenging situations.  Yes, the ending is nearly always happily-ever-after, but what is so wrong with that?  While not the Great American Novel, The Fixer Upper is a fun book with some romance, humor, suspense, family, and - as the title indicates - home decorating,  What could be wrong with that combination! 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006083739X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0M7RDEM2SMN2QR0N8M89&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Sidenote: Mary Kay Andrews' summer rental house on Tybee Island, GA is featured in the June 2010 issue of Better Homes & Gardens
http://www.bhg.com/decorating/decorating-style/cottage/house-tours-colorful-beach-cottage/